Thursday, November 23, 2006

Chicks And Dudes Who You Think Is Really Kickin' Tunes?

Watching the UCLA/UK game the other day, I realized UCLA's center Lorenzo Mata reminded me of something but I couldn't quite figure it out during the game. The kid was huge for UCLA posting 12 pts, 5-9 shooting, and 11 grabs vs Kentucky. Not only that, but with the headband on, I kinda took a double take at him as he was shooting free throws because I've just never seen anything like him before. I was like ‘where did he come from and how did I miss noticing him’.

The 6-9 junior center is from Huntington Park, CA. His senior year in high school he averaged 25 ppg and 18 rpg and ranked by InsiderHoops.com the No.2 West Coast power forward in 2004. And to compliment all this, the kid is physically tough. He just underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in October, and last season he missed two games with a concussion and then sat out 14 games from mid January to early March with an injury to his right tibia, and I think I heard the commentators say during their game vs UK that he broke his nose twice (not sure). This and his appearance alone should dictate a first round draft pick. In their first four games, he leads UCLA with 31 rebounds, he's shooting 60%, and is fifth on UCLA with 8.3 ppg and 24.5 mpg.

And yet this kid reminds me of something. He's a one of a kind hoopster, and a few hours after they beat Kentucky I realized what he reminded me of. Mata will make it all manageable …




No Squealin', remember (that it's all in your head)



In Other YouTube Findings

· This Is Nonsense, But To Each Their Own Opinion - It's not like I'll ever post (embed) this vid (or any of its kind) on this blog, however I will link to it, after stumbling across this vid on YouTube, a small part of me had to laugh a little seeing that the user who posted this video to YouTube is ironically named LouvilleCardinals and because it's just funny. It's just hard for me to take this seriously. He's not very kind on Tubby; is he a Kentucky fan or a Louisville fan just trying to stir emotions? Not sure.

Anyways, it kinda reminds me of a link Deadspin posted back in July about one fan's song about Kentucky's basketball team that originated from Kentucky Sports Radio online. Coming across stuff like this really puts things in perspective for me as a Kentucky fan with a blog online - I enjoy being a fan of Kentucky but at the same time I'll try not to embarrass myself.

No comments: