Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Dickie V & The Jimmy V Classic

Last night the 2006 Jimmy V Classic began and it's one of the better early season tournaments college basketball has to offer. Well during halftime of the Oklahoma St / Syracuse game last night, Dick Vitale made a speech at mid-court about the tournament and about the V Foundation that funds cancer research. He announced that every dollar donated will now go directly to cancer research. Listening to him I realized how special of a guy Dick Vitale is to college hoops. I know that most of us have one way or another been affected by someone who has or had cancer. For me, hearing Mr. Dick Vitale every year talk about the V Foundation and seeing in his eyes how passionate he is about this tournament and finding a cure makes me see exactly what kind of a human being he is. Every time Dick Vitale is calling a game, he always seems to point out a kid in the game and talk about how special that kid is. Well, college basketball has something really special in Dickie V. The world of sports does.

I may not be able to support the V Foundation financially, but for as long as I'm writing the Wildcat Blog, I'll make sure this blog thanks Dick Vitale and the V Foundation for Cancer Research each and every year for their undying passion to finding a cure for cancer, especially since I have been affected by this disease in my own family. May God continue to bless Dick Vitale and everyone else involved in working to help find cures to illnesses and diseases that affect us all. It honestly brings tears to my eyes knowing that there are people out there like Dick Vitale who really do care.

Dickie V, we love you man.

If you're interested in donating or just want more information, visit the V Foundation for Cancer Research online. You can also visit the American Cancer Society online for more information and resources.

No comments: