Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blog Interview: Go Big Blue Cats!

Here is Go Big Blue Cats headed by Vic who generously gave of his time to answer my 10 questions yesterday and well, I'm glad and honored that he did. I noticed his blog last season as it's updated on a regular basis with lots of links and commentary and from the sounds of it we can expect even more this season. Here's what Vic had to say in reply to my email interview …

1) Why did you get started with your blog/forum covering UK and has it been everything you'd hope it to be?

“I've been a huge Kentucky basketball fan forever and thought HEY! Why not have a site about something you love.

I originally started a blog a few years back, but due to time with other things I unfortunately couldn't continue it.

I'm now back and so far everything been going smooth, but I do plan on sharing more thoughts of mine on the program and team.”

2) What's your home-state and how did you become a UK fan?

“I was born and raised in Kentucky of all places. Can you believe that? Here's the kicker...it's Louisville, KY. Yes, I know. Being from Louisville and a UK fan I get asked quite a bit about this from out of stater's. For some reason people thinks it's strange. Here's what I tell them: Kentucky fans are all over.

If I look back, I probably should of been a fan of the other color. (It didn't happen of course) It's weird, growing up I was frequently around UofL basketball players.

First...There was Jerry Eaves, who I seen on a regular basis growing up.

Also when I was a youngster my Uncle would take me shooting down at the old gym at Louisville, where I would see the likes of Darrell Griffith etc.

Then, later on...I was always seeing players like Pervis Ellison, Felton Spencer, Robbie Valentine, Mark McSwain, Jeff Hall etc. Speaking of Valentine, he was always a great guy. He would sometimes shoot around with us kids, we thought that was the coolest thing.

Weird Huh?

Now about Kentucky...I think I started becoming more of a fan back in the Walker, Bowie, Turpin era. I really loved those teams back then and would try to be like Jim Master. (lol)

I also started to follow the team more because of Winston Bennett. (I could tell you a funny little story, but I'll save that). Winston and my Uncle are friends, and were also teammates at Male High. He ended up at Kentucky, so that was all cool to me.

My love for Kentucky basketball has grown stronger ever since. It's just one of them things that few people understand. Those TRUE BLUE fans know what I mean.”

3) What are your expectations going into the 07-08 football and basketball campaigns this season? Care to give predictions?

“The majority of fan expectations for both will be high. (Probably more so with football this year) I look for big things from UK football and see them winning probably 8 games.

It will be interesting to see the mix of new guys and returning players. I expect the team to flow well with the likes of Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, Bradley and Crawford. I see us competing for the SEC title and we should get a great seed going into the NCAA tourney.”

4) Like I just had a dream where Rajon Rondo refused to give me his autograph after I coached one of his practices ... any weird and wacky dreams involving UK you care to admit to?

Hmm, nothing really weird. I've had the dream that I was playing for UK and was a great player. That's the good things about dreams.”

5) If you were to rate BCG on his recruiting and coaching efforts thus far, based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, how would you rate his performance?

“I think he's done well with recruiting, I would give him around a 9. For what's he been able to do coming in, and the short period of time, has been great. Landing Patrick Patterson was huge! He's also been able to make a statement to other coaches across the country. Also top players are taking notice of Big Blue again.

His coaching will have to wait, as he's not had one game yet. It will be interesting to see how everything works out, but I'm sure he'll do well.”

6) Andre Woodson is a Heisman Hopeful going into this season and everyone's expecting big things from the best QB in the SEC, however, in your opinion is there anyone else on the roster you think deserves being mentioned in Heisman conversations also?

“Probably not, Woodson is the only one I see having the chance.”

7) How many UK hats, t-shirts, and jerseys do you currently own?

“Wow! I have alot of Kentucky stuff, probably too much. (LOL) I like my Kentucky gear. I own a few hats and I try to rotate them out. Shirts are a different story...I simply have a closet full. One piece of gear that's my favorite, my leather Kentucky jacket. Also in my collection are numerous collectible and pieces of memorabilia.”

8) Do enjoy playing UK on video game consoles and if so, are you currently playing? What level and how good are you? Do you think you could beat me head to head?

“I used to, when I had more time. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but I've been known to lay the smackdown on others before.”

9) Favorite beverage and food item while watching UK play?

“Chips, burgers and hotdogs are always good, along with a nice cold bottle of Corona.”

10) Name one player from the football team and basketball team who you think will have a huge season in 07-08 and state why.

“I'm gonna be a homer and go with Andre Woodson. I feel he's gonna go out there and give 110% each game. He's knows the expectations and will want to meet or exceed those.

I was impressed last season by Jodie Meeks. I think he should be even better this season and could really have a breakout year. The guy is simply fun to watch.

I'm also looking forward to Patrick Patterson, he could very well have a monster year.”

Looks like Vic and I are on the same page with #8 & #9 except I'll take a Pepsi, ok, maybe one Bud Light. I'm not much of a drinker. :P.

Go Check out Go Big Blue Cats and pay him a comment as well. He's as up-to-date as anyone in the UK Blogosphere and will be one I'll be reading as the blogging season begins.

Much thanks to Vic and Go Big Blue Cats for taking part in my 10 question interview.

LIVEBLUE

No comments: