Monday, August 27, 2007

Blog Interview: A Sea of Blue

Football season is upon us folks and well, you know I've stated before that I'm all about community here at the Wildcat Blog, so I decided to survey some of my favorite UK bloggers on the Internet so we all get a sense of who they are. Who knows maybe we'll come together sometime soon and get a podcast going for the UK Blogosphere - at least that's a vision I'd like to see happen.

First up is by far the best Pro-UK blog on the internet, A Sea of Blue, and when my man Truz accepted my invitation for this email interview I was all giddyup'd inside. In fact, I was so blown away by his answers, it's going to be a tough act to follow. But that's Truz for ya, no one does a better job at getting you to think than A Sea of Blue. It's a great blog that keeps on ticking even through the off season and they continue to be a voice for Kentucky fans throughout. Here's what Truz from ASoB had to say …

1) Why did you get started with your blog/forum covering UK and has it been everything you'd hope it to be?

“Quite by accident, really. I had been participating in the political blog scene for many years, but had recently burned out because it just got so filled with rancor. I found a UK blog called "Bogan's Heroes" run by my co-blogger, JL Blue. I was a commenter there for a while, and then JL joined SB Nation, a new sports blog network as owner and operator of A Sea of Blue.

I started commenting on ASoB, and offering diaries. One fine day back in December of last year, JL asked me to become a co-blogger on a part-time basis, which I was happy to do. After I learned the ropes, JL advised me that he had many positive changes happening in his life, and it was becoming too full for him to continue to run the blog, and he asked me to take it over. As the old saying goes, the rest is history. JL and I have essentially switched roles -- him part time, and me the full time blogger/owner.

JL developed this blog into what you see now. When I came on, almost all the hard work had already been done by him. He is the true creative force and mastermind behind ASoB, and I just hope I can live up to his vision.”

2) What's your home-state and how did you become a UK fan?

“I call Kentucky my home state, but I was born in Abingdon, Virginia and lived in Bristol, Tennessee until I was about 12. My family then moved to Shelbyville, Kentucky where my father was from, and he still lives there. I went to school at Western Kentucky and after a six-year stint as a US Navy submariner, I moved back to Jeffersontown, Kentucky, where I reside to this day.

I have been a UK fan since I was 13 or 14. You don't have to live in Kentucky long, especially as a kid, before you are exposed to the basketball tradition of the state, and the reason behind its basketball obsession. Coming from Tennessee, I was all about football when I got here -- basketball goals were a rare thing in Tennessee back yards.

But it didn't take long watching Jimmy Dan Connor, Kevin Grevey et. al. before I became a huge UK fan. I remember when those guys signed as freshmen, because I delivered the Courier-Journal and, back then, the Louisville Times for all my childhood years in Kentucky, and you can't help but read the headlines when you are a paperboy.

Some may think it odd that I am a UK blogger who never went to UK, but back in those days, State U was just a little to pricey and huge for me. U of L was too close to home, which left the smaller schools. I had some friends going to Western, so that's where I went, but even there, I would say I saw as many UK basketball games as I did Western ones. I'll never forget laying around in my best friend's apartment after a big party night and watching the 1978 national championship game.

My brother went to UK and graduated from there, but he isn't even close to as big a UK fan as I am (go figure). I still love the Hilltopers, but the Wildcats are like your first sweetheart -- nothing can ever quite match it.”

3) What are your expectations going into the 07-08 football and basketball campaigns this season? Care to give predictions?

“Like most Kentucky fans, I expect our team to be improved over last year. The addition of Patrick Patterson, Alex Legion and AJ Stewart and the maturation of Jodie Meeks, Perry Stevenson, Ramon Harris and Derek Jasper aught to provide a strong base from which this team can be effective. Along with returning seniors Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford, I expect us to battle Tennessee for tops in the East, and the overall conference regular season crown.

I don't think I'll make many predictions just yet, but I will make two: a) Patrick Patterson will be better than many UK fans expect, and b) We will get much better than an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA tournament.”

4) Like I just had a dream where Rajon Rondo refused to give me his autograph after I coached one of his practices ... any weird and wacky dreams involving UK you care to admit to?

“I once dreamed I showed Joe Crawford how to shoot the basketball. Naturally, he was unstoppable after that.” :-)

5) If you were to rate BCG on his recruiting and coaching efforts thus far, based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, how would you rate his performance?

“I can't rate his coaching, because quite frankly, he has not coached one minute at UK. During the time he has been at Kentucky, he has been largely forbidden by NCAA rules to do anything other than recruiting and administrative tasks. So I'll have to save my evaluation of his coaching until he actually does some.

Recruiting-wise, I'll have to give him a 10, and here is why: Any coach that follows another in the middle of recruiting, doesn't lose a single committed recruit or current player and manages to overcome perceptions and convince our most coveted recruit to come in spite of the coaching change deserves nothing less. As far as the rest of his recruiting is concerned since Patterson's signing, I am very satisfied. But he gets a 10 just for landing Patterson and not loosing any of the team members -- it was a huge task that I didn't believe he would pull off. Needless to say, I am happy he did.”

6) Andre Woodson is a Heisman Hopeful going into this season and everyone's expecting big things from the best QB in the SEC, however, in your opinion is there anyone else on the roster you think deserves being mentioned in Heisman conversations also?

“Really, I don't. Keenan Burton, you have to think, would be the nearest other Kentucky player to be mentioned, and If the stars align correctly, I suppose he could get a mention or two. But it's hard to imagine a scenario in which he gets mentioned above Woodson.

Frankly, neither of them are serious candidates for the trophy. But to hear any Wildcat mentioned at all in connection with the Heisman is a wonderful thing.”

7) How many UK hats, t-shirts, and jerseys do you currently own?

“Many. I don't really even know how many. My wife has at least twice what I do. Between us, maybe 75 or 100 or so pieces of UK logo apparel.”

8) Do enjoy playing UK on video game consoles and if so, are you currently playing? What level and how good are you? Do you think you could beat me head to head?

“Not anymore. I used to love it when I was younger, and I was above average. But I am an old, crotchety curmudgeon now. :-) I spend all my spare time blogging or golfing.”

9) Favorite beverage and food item while watching UK play?

“Beverage: Ice cold Budweiser. Food? Who notices food during a UK game? I would have to take my eyes off the game to locate food, and in our house, that doesn't happen. At halftime, maybe a sandwich or some chips, pizza or something. Beer is important. Food is for before, or after.” :-)

10) Name one player from the football team and basketball team who you think will have a huge season in 07-08 and state why.

“Football: Raphael Little. I think now that he is fully healthy, he is going to have a huge year if Joker Phillips actually has a brain. With the constant Wooson-Burton threat, you have to figure that there will be lots of opportunities for Little, especially during the SEC season. The key will be keeping the defense off balance by mixing up the pass and the run, and if UK does that, Little will have an All-SEC season.

Basketball: Ramon Harris. He is credibly rumored by many to be vastly improved, and nobody in the SEC could pick him out of a lineup even if he were the only person over 6' tall in it. They won't be ready for him, and he will show us all why he was recruited.”

Much thanks goes to Truzenzuzex of ASoB for participating.

Please go check out A Sea of Blue and pay him a comment or two.

LIVEBLUE

No comments: