Thursday, June 21, 2007

An Apology For Kent State Nation

Waking up to this …

mongoose777 said...
“Hey, I hope your 'lil wildcats think like you do regarding Kents football team. However, I do love your QB Woodson.
Three major college magazines (Lindy,Athlon,Phil Steele) are predicting your team to be around the 6-win game catagory for this year, while the same previews have Kent between 8/9 wins. Kent State is an up and coming team and will fight the wildcats till the end. I predict a much closer game since your defense appears to be near the bottom in all catagories of all D1 college rankings.
Since you mentioned that you were to cool like that or shall I say lazy like that, I'd say do your homework next time on Kent State.”

… woke me up quicker than dropping a couple caffiene tablets in a can of coke. I admit though, I was lazy like that, and since I've offended a few fans from Kent St. nation (thanks for reading my blog!), I think I owe Kent St and their fans at least the respect of seeing what others are saying about their team before I go foolishly blabbing off ridiculous predicted scores like 48-0, right?

Kentucky winning only 6 games would be a major disappointment with who they are returning on offense and with an anticipated improved defense. In fact, CSTV, a CBS company, has Kentucky at #23 in their pre-season poll, which I find humbling yet at the same time feel they are deserving either way because they will break the Top 25 this year if they play up to their potential. In fact, ESPN has Kentucky winning 8 games, winning 4 games in the toughest conference in the nation. In the blogosphere, Ryan Ferguson, also of AOL's Fanhouse fame and of Orange and Blue Hue fame, said this about Kentucky … “… and I think winning 8 games for UK this year is very doable. Your Cats might just shock some of the traditional powers.”

That's a Gator fan saying that. So while that I may have over-indulged my senses to my satisfaction and at the same time underrating Kent State, Kentucky winning six games this year would be a huge disappointment for the talent returning on this year's team. In fact, I see a couple SEC upsets in the making this year.

With that said, I've been lazy like that, and I apologize to the entire Kent State family, fans, and nation. Forty-eight to nothing was a little disrespectful. My new score? How does 24-10 sound?

LIVEBLUE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kent St. has almost zero depth at the QB position. However, if Edelman is healthy and playing in the game against Kentucky then the Flashes will likely score more than 10 points.

Kent State is still improving as evidenced by last year's 6-6 mark. Kent St. had one of the best pass defenses in the nation last year - which was due in large part to the now departed Usama Young who was drafted by the Saints - but the majority of the defense returns intact.

This should be a pretty close game barring any injuries.